Monday, April 14, 2014

My Weekend ...

I don't know about where anyone else lives, but in the DFW area and even north of here - this time of year means a 5K or some type of marathon every.single.weekend!!!  You have to be careful exactly where you're driving around because there may be streets closed and traffic diverted because some organization is having a 5K to raise money for whatever charitable foundation they are supporting.  And next year, I'm even considering participating in some of them!! I'm not quite ready to do that this year - but I'm getting there.

Even though I'm not quite ready for the 5K - there was 1 mile Fun Run/Walk this weekend that I was super excited to participate in!!  If you have been following my blog, you read a post back in November about my friend's dad who passed away from lung cancer.  He was from my hometown and he was an employee of the school district there before he passed away - and everyone who knew him, loved him ... and it seems pretty much everyone knew him!  So this past weekend, my hometown had a Fun Run/Walk and 5K along with a silent auction to raise money for the American Cancer Society and for a memorial scholarship in JP's memory.  It was a pretty awesome tribute to this man and his memory as well as to his family and what they mean to our small town.    We wore shirts that his grandkids helped create that had little hand prints on them that said "Together We Never Surrender." Nearly 200 people were there Saturday to walk, run and bid on items that local businesses had contributed to help raise money for the cause.  While this isn't the first year the town has had the 5K (it's part their yearly health fair) - this year there were twice the number of participants as well as much more money raised.  It makes me very proud of my little hometown and how much they care about the people in it.

Anyway ... that was my weekend - doing a Fun Run/Walk with my mom in my hometown in memory of a really great man who left this life way too soon.  The guy who runs the local newspaper put together a video highlighting some of the fun that was going on through the morning - and mom and I made an appearance in it! I thought I'd share with you so you can watch how much fun we had - and how silly my mom is!!!


1 comment:

  1. Your doing good keep it up!!!!!!!:) I love doing 5ks and mile runs especially when they are for a good cause. Right now I am playing thunder soccer which is really fun!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if you heard but I am in school this year and it is REALLY interesting......but very awesome. I have also started practice this past summer for pole-vaulting. It is sssssoooooo fun:)

    ReplyDelete